Monday, March 7, 2022

Another Spring

 

If I might see another Spring,

I'd not plant summer flowers and wait:

I'd have my crocuses at once,

My leafless pink mezereons*

My chill-veined snow-drops, choice yet.

My white or azure violet,

Leaf-nest primrose; anything

To blow at once, not late.



Spring Spreads One Green Lap Of Flowers
(1910)
John William Waterhouse
(1849-1917)
English artist
Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood



If I might see another Spring

I'd listen to the daylight birds

That build their nests and pair and sing,

Nor wait for the mateless nightingale;

I'd listen to the lusty herds,

The ewes with lambs as white as snow,

I'd find out music in the hail

And all the winds that blow.

If I might see another Spring-

Oh stinging comment on my past

That all my past results "if"-

If I might see another Spring,

I'd laugh to-day, to-day is brief;

I would not wait for anything:

I'd use to-day that cannot last,

Be glad to-day and sing.

"Another Spring"
Christina Rossetti
(1830-1894)
English Pre-Raphaelite poetess



* Mezereon is a species of the Daphne in the flowering plant family, Thymelaeaceae.
It is is native to most of Europe and Western Asia. Species of this plant
are also found in Scandinavia and in Russia.

Above image courtesy/wildflowerfinder.org.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment