Sunday, August 13, 2023

O Jesus I Have Promised

 


"Let be and be still and know, recognize and understand, that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge,
our High Tower and Stronghold.
Selah, pause and calmly think of that!"
(Psalm 46:10-11)


 Image courtesy/Joyful Butterfly



O Jesus, I have promised

To serve Thee to the end:

Be Thou forever near me,

My Master and my Friend;

I shall not fear the battle

If Thou art by my side,

Nor wander from the pathway

If Thou wilt be my guide.

O let me feel Thee near me!

The world is ever near;

I see the sights that dazzle,

The tempting sounds I hear:

My foes are ever near me,

Around me and within;

But Jesus, draw Thou nearer,

And shield my soul from sin.

O let me hear Thee speaking

In accents clear and still,

Above the storms of passion,

The murmurs of self will.

O speak to reassure me,

To hasten or control;

O speak, and make me listen,

Thou Guardian of my soul.


O Jesus, Thou has promised

To all who follow Thee

That where Thou art in glory

There shall Thy servants be.

And Jesus, I have promised

To serve Thee to the end;

O give me grace to follow,

My Master and my Friend.


O let me see Thy footprints,

And in them plant mine own;

My hope to follow duly

Is in Thy strength alone.

O guide me, call me, draw me,

Uphold me to the end;

And then in Heav'n receive me,

My Savior and my Friend.


"O Jesus I Have Promised"
(1868)
John Ernest Bode
(1816-1874)
Anglican clergyman, poet,
educator, and hymn writer




No comments:

Post a Comment