Thursday, August 17, 2023

Thursday's Thoughts: The Most Violent Place In The World For Christians

 


The African nation of Nigeria is the most violent
place for Christians in the world today.

According to a report published in May 2023 from the
   nondenominational mission organization Open Doors, 
 as many as 5,000 Nigerian believers have been killed
  for their faith in Jesus Christ over the course of one year.


Nigerian children return to rebuild lives in communities liberated from Boko Haram.
Picture courtesy/World Watch Monitor


Christians in Nigeria are not only being mercilessly hunted down and slaughtered by
Islamic extremists operating within that nation, but are also routinely abducted,
 beaten, raped, and tortured for their faith.  Many Christians in Nigeria have been
forced to flee their homes and go into hiding from those sworn to kill them.

   And yet, despite this terrible persecution, the church in Nigeria, and in 
many places across sub-Saharan Africa continues to flourish with witnessing
the good news of the Gospel.  In the wake of such shocking evil, the brave
Christians of Africa continue to place their hope and faith in Jesus alone.

As I sit here writing this post today in a still relatively free America,
I am shocked and horrified by the continual persecution that my brothers
and sisters in the Lord are experiencing nearly every single day in
Nigeria and in many other nations around the world. I remember reading
 a story about five pastors in Tanzania, whose most fervent prayer was
that even if they had to die for their faith, the message of the
Gospel and salvation through Christ alone, would continue to
spread across their nation and the continent.

Their devotion in serving the Lord made me cry.  Their selflessness
and courage has always been an inspiration to me in my own 
walk of faith, and yet, I think sometimes, would I be as 
brave as they are if I had to die for my faith?

I would like to ask everyone reading this post to please pray for 
the Nigerian Christians, and all our brothers and sisters in the Lord
 throughout the world who are facing persecution on a daily basis.

"So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities,
insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities, and distresses; for when I am
weak in human strength, then I am truly strong, able, powerful in divine strength."
(II Corinthians 12:10)

Thank God for the faithfulness of front-line workers, who often risk their lives
to bring the salvation message of the Gospel and smuggle Bibles to those who
want them in nations where Christianity is forbidden.

"For God is my witness, Whom I serve with my whole spirit,  in preaching
the Gospel and telling the good news of His son..."
(Romans 1:9)

Pray that those forced to flee their homes will find refuge in God's love and mercy.

"Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer.  From the end of the earth
will I cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed and fainting; lead me
to the rock that is higher than I, yes, a rock that is too high for me.
For You have been a shelter and a refuge for me, a strong tower
against the adversary.  I will dwell in Your tabernacle forever;
let me find refuge and trust in the shelter of Your wings.
Selah, pause and calmly think of that!"
(Psalm 61:1-4)

Pray that like the young Nigerian man whose father was murdered by
Islamic extremists for refusing to deny his faith in Christ,  those facing 
 persecution will choose to love and forgive their persecutors.

"You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and
hate your enemy. But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for
those who persecute you."
(Matthew 5:43-44)

Pray that those who persecute Christians will repent
 and surrender at the foot of the cross.

"For I through the Law, under the operation of the curse of the Law,
have in Christ's death for me, myself died to the Law, and all the
Law's demands upon me, so that I may henceforth live to and for God.

I have been crucified with Christ, in Him I have shared His crucifixion,
it is no longer I who live, but Christ the Messiah lives in me; and the life
I now live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God,
Who loved me and gave Himself up for me."
(Galatians 2:19-20)


Maranatha!



No comments:

Post a Comment