Friday, March 1, 2024

First Friday Devotional: After The Storm

 




"So teach us to number our days that we may get us a heart of wisdom."
(Psalm 90:12)



Image courtesy/Pinterest



I wonder how agnostics or atheists deal with mornings like this.

But then I, (a believer) had had trouble dealing with yesterday.
Following days of drenching rain, killer floods, and general chaos,
there came a freak downpour. 

Without warning, a black curtain of rain simply swallowed our city.

I waded a lake that came to the hem of my skirt trying to find my
car in the teachers' parking lot. Paperwork for the day was a total loss.
My freshly done hair was soaked.  I dripped in the front door to hear
three children screaming like banshees (one mine, two somebody else's)
a cold-nosed dog demanding dinner, and a husband who announced cheerfully
that the roof was leaking in five places and the septic tank was overflowing.

"Let me in the door, please!"  So began our evening.

When my husband and I crept into bed, exhausted (at midnight) the boys
were still giggling.  The roof was still leaking (into pans and buckets). The
 rain was still raining. And the septic tank would have to be dealt with tomorrow.

I awoke with a start, wondering if once again the power had failed and our
electric clock had stopped. It was full daylight, surely seven o'clock on a
March day, and far too late to hope to get everybody off on a weekday morning.

The clock appeared to be working, but how could it be so light at 4:30 A.M.?

I ran barefoot to the window and there hung the most breathtaking moon
I've ever seen, suspended in a sky so clear that it appeared blue even in the
pre-dawn. I watched in prayerful wonder until it was time to get the day
on its feet. Only God could create such a day from yesterday's chaos-
and put my heart back together!

To think and pray about: Do you think this kind of beauty follows chaos
by accident? In what ways does God, through nature, cleanse the world,
the spirit? We walk through storms that strip us bare or cleanse us so we
can grow again-according to our faith.

God assures us that He's in charge. We can cope through prayer.



"After The Storm"
June Masters Bacher
(1918-1993)
Teacher, news reporter and editor,
 script writer and prolific author




No comments:

Post a Comment