Sunday, October 29, 2017

Fifth Sunday Meditation: His Power Made Perfect




"...My grace, My favor and
loving-kindness and mercy is enough for you,
sufficient against any danger and enables you
to bear the trouble; for My strength and power
are made perfect in your weakness,"
II Corinthians 12:9


While in Europe researching my book,
"Of Whom The World Was Not Worthy"
(Bethany House 1979)




I traveled through Yugoslavia from Slovenia
to Macedonia. I interviewed factory workers,
peasants, gypsies, doctors, and laborers, as
well as former Communist party officials.

I wanted to know how Christians sustained 
their faith through the devastation of two world wars.
I heard story after story of courage in the face of
seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

I talked to those who had been imprisoned and whose
future seemed hopeless; people who had been sick and wasted
physically; frail women who fought in the Partisan army
against the Fascists with only sticks for weapons;
people who were starving, who ate scraps out of garbage cans.

These were brave people-weak, defenseless, people- but
those for whom the grace of the Lord was sufficient.
In their weakness, His power was made perfect.



Female partisans of the Prolaterian Brigade in 
Sutjeska,Yugoslavia during World War II.



I looked at my own life and asked myself if my weaknesses
were an opportunity for God's power to be made perfect in me.
Did I really accept His grace as sufficient for every situation?

The apostle Paul suffered a thorn in the flesh that he begged
the Lord to remove. The Lord responded not by removing the
agonizing source of pain but by giving the apostle the strength
to bear it. This is how God often works. He does not spare us
from suffering but enables us to conquer it.

I've seen shy people become great leaders, and I've seen physically
ill people become charged with spiritual energy and touch other
lives with the power of the gospel of Christ.

I've seen suffering people become shining examples of strength
and power. And through this I've learned that nothing can break
or destroy us when we allow our weaknesses to make us strong.

There is sublime joy in holy boasting of the power of God in
a life that is totally dependent on Him. There is a sublime peace
in accepting the sufficiency of God's grace by allowing Him to
be strong in us where we are weak.



Author Marie Chapian


"His Power Made Perfect"
By Marie Chapian
from the "Women's Devotional Bible"
 The Zondervan Corporation
(1990, 1991)






No comments:

Post a Comment