Sunday, October 1, 2017

First Sunday Meditation: Forgiveness





Dearest Lord,
The scene of Your death,
 the agony of Your suffering being nailed
to the cross, never fails to remind me 
that the hands that drove the
nails into Your palms 
could have belonged to me.  




Scene from the movie,
"The Passion of the Christ"
(2004)

 In making your agonizing choice
in the Garden, You could have chosen to
say, "No" and walked away from it all.
But You didn't walk away.

You could have called upon the Father, 
Who would have sent a
legion of His fiercest warrior angels 
to defeat Your enemies on the spot.
But You remained silent.

Because You love me,
 You chose to be obedient to the will of Your Father,
even unto death.  Even in the midst of the terrible
agony of the cross, You showed Your great love and
mercy for Your tormentors when You uttered,

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
Luke 23:34

In the midst of unbearable suffering, 
You chose forgiveness.

Your decision has always served 
as a reality check for me in my own
daily walk of faith.  It has often been a real struggle for
me sometimes to forgive people, especially those
 who seem to go out of their way to make life
miserable for others. 
However, I have come to realize that the bitterness
and resentment I sometimes feel towards certain people
 is really no different from the blind hatred in
the hearts of those who nailed Your
palms to the cross.

Four years ago, after my husband walked out on me,
putting an end to an emotionally and mentally
abusive marriage, it was almost as if
 You opened the door of my
prison cell and said, "Come out. You are free."
  However, I have also come to realize, that
in my continuous pursuit of an
unfettered walk of faith,  
 I need to surrender all that I am to You
every day of my life, and this includes
the willingness to lay down the shackles of
bitterness, as well as all the painful memories of
the past, at the foot of Your cross.

And so today, I choose forgiveness.




Master Of Life
Zemer Levav

No comments:

Post a Comment