Sunday, January 28, 2018

Fourth Sunday Meditation: The Strength Of My Heart And My Portion Forever




"Pride goeth before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall."
Proverbs 16:18

Dear Father,
Guard our hearts from the sin of pride.



PSALM 73
A Psalm of Asaph

Truly God is only good to Israel, even to those
who are upright and pure in heart.

But as for me, my feet were almost gone,
my steps had well-nigh slipped.

For I was envious of the foolish and arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

For they suffer no violent pangs in their death,
but their strength is firm.

They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they
smitten and plagued like other men.

Therefore pride is about their necks like a chain;
violence covers them like a garment, like a long luxurious robe.

Their eyes stand out with fatness, they have more than heart
could wish; and the imaginations of their minds overflow with follies.

They scoff and wickedly utter oppression; they speak loftily
from on high, maliciously and blasphemously,

They set their mouths against and speak down from heaven,
and their tongues swagger through the earth, invading heaven
with blasphemy and smearing earth with slanders.

Therefore His people return here, and waters of a full cup,
offered by the wicked, are blindly drained by them.

And they say, How does God know? Is there knowledge
in the Most High?

Behold, these are the ungodly, who always prosper and are
at ease in the world; they increase in riches.

Surely then in vain have I cleansed my heart and washed
my hands in innocency.

For all day long have I been smitten and plagued,
and chastened every morning.

Had I spoken thus and given expression to my feelings,
I would have been untrue and have dealt treacherously against
the generation of Your children.

But when I considered how to understand this, it was too
great an effort for me and too painful.

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood for
I considered their end.

After all, You do set the wicked in slippery places;
You cast them down to ruin and destruction.

How they become a desolation in a moment! They are
utterly consumed with terrors!

As a dream which seems real until one awakens, so, O Lord,
when You arouse Yourself to take note of the wicked,
You will despise their outward show.

For my heart was grieved, embittered, and in a state of ferment,
and I was pricked in my heart as with the sharp fang of an adder.
So foolish, stupid, and brutish was I, and ignorant;
 I was  like a beast before You.

Nevertheless I am continually with You; You do hold my right hand.
You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to honor and glory.

Whom have I in heaven but You?

And I have no delight or desire on earth besides You.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength
of my heart and my Portion forever.

For behold, those who are far from You shall perish; You will destroy
all who are false to You and like spiritual harlots depart from You.

But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord
God and made Him my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.


The Rescue
Nathan Greene




"Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light."



Take My Hand, Precious Lord
Mahalia Jackson




"Take My Hand Precious Lord"
(1933)
Lyrics by the Reverend Thomas A. Dorsey
Music adapted from the tune,
 "Maitland"
(1844)
By George N. Allen


This hymn was a favorite of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
 and was sung by Mahalia Jackson at his funeral in 1968.

 Four years later, Aretha Franklin sang, "Take My Hand Precious Lord"
during the funeral service for Mahalia Jackson in 1972.






No comments:

Post a Comment