Sunday, March 14, 2021

Spirit Of God Descend Upon My Heart



"...for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will,
but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God."
2 Peter 1:21





Spirit of God,

descend upon my heart;

Wean it from earth;

through all its pulses move;

Stoop to my weakness,

mighty as Thou art,

And make me love Thee

as I ought to love.

I ask no dream,

no prophetic ecstasies,

No sudden rending

of the veil of clay,

No angel visitant,

no opening skies;

But take the dimness

of my soul away.

Teach me to feel

that Thou art always nigh;

Teach me the struggles

of the soul to bear,

To check the rising doubt,

the rebel sigh;

Teach me the patience

of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love Thee

as Thine angels love,

One holy passion

filling all my frame;

The baptism of

the heaven-descended Dove,

My heart an altar,

and Thy love the flame.

Amen.




"Spirit Of God Descend Upon My Heart"
(1854)
Reverend George Croly
(1780-1860)
Irish Anglican clergyman,
 poet, historian, and novelist



No comments:

Post a Comment