Friday, August 12, 2022

Just As I Am, Without One Plea


"It was God personally present in Christ, reconciling
 and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not
counting up and holding against men their trespasses 
but canceling them, and committing to us the
message of reconciliation.

So we are Christ's ambassadors, God making His appeal as
 if it were through us. We as Christ's personal representatives 
beg you for His sake to lay hold of the divine favor
 now offered to you and be reconciled to God.

For our sake He made Christ to be sin, Who knew no sin,
so that in and through Him we might become the righteousness
of God and in right relationship with Him, by His goodness."
(II Corinthians 5:19-21)


Redemption
"The Day of Salvation.
Never forget what He did for us."
(2012)
Bertha Hamilton
American artist
Image courtesy/Fine Art America



Just as I am-without one plea,

But that Thy blood was shed for me,

And that Thou bidst me come to Thee

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am-and waiting not

To rid my soul of one dark blot,

To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot-

O Lamb of God I come, I come.

Just as I am-though tossed about

With many a conflict, many a doubt,

Fightings and fears within, without-

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am-poor, wretched, blind;

Sight, riches, healing of the mind,

Yea, all I need in Thee to find-

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am-Thou wilt receive,

Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;

Because Thy promise I believe-

O Lamb of God I come, I come.

Just as I am-Thy love unknown

Hath broken every barrier down;

Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone-

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am-of that free love

The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,

Here for a season, then above-

O Lamb of God, I come, I come!


"Just As I Am, Without One Plea"
(1835)
Charlotte Elliot
(1789-1871)
English hymn writer


The Story Behind The Song

 Charlotte Elliot was visiting some friends in the West End of London where
 she met the distinguished Swiss minister Dr. Henri Abraham Cesar Malan. 
 While seated at the dinner table that night he said to her
that he hoped she was a Christian.

Charlotte was initially offended by his bold inquiry and replied that
she would rather not discuss that question with him.  Dr. Malan than
apologized for offending her, but explained that he always liked to
speak on behalf of his Master, and that he sincerely hoped she
would someday consider becoming a worker for Christ.

She never forgot his words to her that night.

Three weeks later, when they met again in the home of a mutual friend,
Charlotte confessed to Dr. Malan that ever since he had spoken to her 
 about becoming a worker for Christ, she had been trying to find Him.

"How do I come to Christ? she asked him.

"Just come as you are," he replied.

That night, Charlotte Elliot went home rejoicing in her heart.

Not long afterwards, she wrote this beautiful hymn.



Source information for "The Story Behind The Song":
"My Life and the Story of the Gospel Hymns"
(1906)
David Ira Sankey
(1840-1908)
American Gospel singer and composer



No comments:

Post a Comment