Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The Day Of Atonement 2018




"And the Lord said to Moses,
"Also on the tenth day of this seventh month is
the Day of Atonement, it shall be a holy called assembly,
and you shall afflict yourselves by fasting in penitence
and humility and present an offering made by fire to the Lord.
And you shall do no work on this day, for it is the 
Day of Atonement, to make atonement for you
before the Lord your God."
Leviticus 23:26-28


In ancient Israel on the Day of Atonement the High Priest
entered the Holy of Holies to make atonement for the people.



Tonight at sundown begins the observance of  Yom Kippur,
the most holy day in the Jewish biblical calendar. Once a year,
haCohen haGadol, the high priest, would enter the Holy of Holies
to make atonement for the people of Israel.  The shed blood
of animals cleansed the people of their yearly sins.
This act of reconciliation before the Lord required the
people to willingly forgive anyone who had offended
or harmed them in that year.


"...the cleansing and life-giving sacrifice..."


For believers in Messiah Yeshua, the observance of
Yom Kippur  is a special time of reflection on our
restoration before the Father through the atoning
death of His Son on the cross.

In the third chapter of the Book of Romans, the apostle
Paul spoke of the believer's righteousness or right standing
with God having being reclaimed independently and altogether
apart from the Law, although it was attested by the Law and the Prophets.

Paul declares, "Namely, the righteousness of God which comes by
believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ, the Messiah.
And it is meant for all who believe. For there is no distinction."


Through faith in Christ alone...


The apostle further attests, "Since all have sinned and 
 fall short of the honor and glory which God bestows and receives.
 All are justified and made upright and in right
standing with God, freely and gratuitously by His grace,
His unmerited favor and mercy, through redemption 
provided in Christ Jesus, Whom God put forward before the eyes
of all as a mercy seat and propitiation by His blood, the cleansing
and life-giving sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation to be
received through faith. This is to show God's righteousness,
because in His divine forbearance He passed over and ignored
former sins without punishment.
It was to demonstrate and prove at the present time, in the
now season, that He Himself is righteous and that He justifies
and accepts as righteous all who have true faith in Jesus."
Romans 3:21-26






"Adonai my King, I humble myself before You on
this most holy day. I deny myself-my very existence-
because You once denied Yourself for me.
Yeshua, I bless Your Name, for You have done for me
what I could never accomplish for myself.
My Master, I worship You;
I bow down in humility before You.
By myself I am nothing, but in You alone, I have
so much more than enough..."



The above prayer was taken from the book,
"Messianic Mo'adiym Devotional
Messianic Devotionals For Israel's 
Annual Feasts, Fasts, And Appointed Times"
Written by Kevin Geoffrey
Perfect Word Ministries
Perfect Word Publishing
(c.2007)



No comments:

Post a Comment