Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Song Of The Robin's Pincushion Fairy





A native of the United Kingdom,  Robin's Pincushion
are galls which develop on wild roses in late summer.
They are also known as Bedeguars.
According to popular folklore these plants are said
to cure serious aliments like Whooping Cough,
as well as toothache and insomnia.



People come and look at me,

Asking who this rogue may be?

-Up to mischief, they suppose,

Perched upon the briar-rose.

I am nothing else at all

But a fuzzy-wuzzy ball,

Like a little bunch of flame;

I will tell you how I came:

First there came a naughty fly,

Pricked the rose, and made her cry;

Out I popped to see about it;

This is true, so do not doubt it!



The Robin's Pincushion Fairy
Mary Cecily Barker




"The Song Of The Robin's Pincushion Fairy"
Mary Cecily Barker
(1895-1973)
English poetess and artist



No comments:

Post a Comment