Sunday, September 16, 2018

Third Sunday Meditation: Rest For The Weary Heart




"He has delivered me out of every trouble,
and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies."
Psalm 54:7



Laughing Dove
(Israel)



PSALM 55

To the Chief Musician; with stringed instruments.
A skillful song, or a didactic or reflective poem of David.


Listen to my prayer, O God, and hide not Yourself
from my supplication!

Attend to me and answer me; I am restless and
distraught in my complaint and must moan.

 I am distracted at the noise of the enemy,
because of the oppression and threats of the wicked;
for they would cast trouble upon me, and in
wrath they persecute me.

My heart is grievously pained within me,
and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.

Fear and trembling have come upon me;
horror and fright have overwhelmed me.

And I say, Oh, that I had wings of a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest.

Yes, I would wander far away, I would
lodge in the wilderness. 

Selah pause, and calmly think of that!

I would hasten to escape and to find shelter
from the stormy wind and tempest.

Destroy their schemes, O Lord, confuse their
tongues, for I have seen violence and strife in the city.

Day and night they go about on its walls;
iniquity and mischief are in its midst.

Violence and ruin are within it;
fraud and guile do not depart from its 
streets and marketplaces.

For it is not an enemy who reproaches and
taunts me-then I might bear it; nor is it one
who has hated me who insolently vaunts himself
against me-then I might hide from him.

But it was you, a man my equal, my companion
and my familiar friend.

We had sweet fellowship together and used to walk
to the house of God in company.

Let desolations and death come suddenly upon them;
let them go down alive to Sheol, the place of the dead,
for evils are their habitations, in their hearts, and their inmost part.

As for me, I will call upon God, and the Lord will save me.

Evening and morning and at noon will I utter my complaint
and moan and sigh, and He will hear my voice.

He has redeemed my life in peace from the battle that
was against me, so that none came near me, for they
were many who strove with me.

God will hear and humble them, even He Who abides
of old-Selah pause, and calmly think of that!-because
in them there has been no change of heart and they 
 do not fear, revere, and worship God.

My companion has put forth his hands against 
those who were at peace with him; he has broken 
and profaned his agreement of friendship and loyalty.

The words of his mouth were smoother than cream
or butter, but war was in his heart; his words were softer
than oil, yet they were drawn swords.

Cast your burdens on the Lord, releasing the weight
of it, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the
consistently righteous to be moved, made to slip, fall, or fail.

But You, O God, will bring down the wicked into the pit
of destruction; men of blood and treachery shall not live out half their days.
But I will trust in, lean on, and confidently rely on You.



Namaqua Dove
(Israel)





O That I Had Wings 
Zemer Levav




No comments:

Post a Comment