Sunday, June 3, 2018

How Great Thou Art




O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the world Thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

(Refrain)
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee:
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee:
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!


The dramatic peaks of the Carpathian Mountains
Image by Michal Sleczek



When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

(Refrain)

And when I think that God, His Son, not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

(Refrain)

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"



THE STORY BEHIND THE SONG

In 1885, a  young Swedish minister named Carl G. Boberg was inspired to
write a poem entitled, "O Store Gud" .  A few years later, while in attendance at
a meeting, he was surprised to hear the words of his poem 
being sung to the tune of an old Swedish melody. 

A century later, in the early 1920's, an English missionary named Stuart K. Hine
and his wife were witnessing the Gospel in Poland. While there they first heard and
learned Pastor Boberg's poem being sung in the Russian language. Inspired by 
this beautiful song, Pastor Hine later wrote his own version, reflecting on
his time spent in the Carpathian Mountains, when a powerful thunderstorm 
 interrupted the sermon he was conducting on the street of a village there. 
The awesome roll of thunder echoing across the mountains was
the inspiration for the first verse of his song.

 Pastor Hine would later hike through the rugged mountains into
Romania and Bukovina accompanied by a group of young people.
Wandering through the dense beauty of the Carpathian forest, he
heard the sweet singing of  the birds in the trees, 
which inspired him to write the second verse of his song.  

The third verse came to mind after sharing
the message of the Gospel with many of the residents of the Carpathian
Mountains and seeing many coming to accept Jesus Christ into their hearts.

The fourth and final verse of what would become one of the best
loved hymns of the Christian faith, "How Great Thou Art"
was written after Pastor Hine returned to England.


I think I might have posted this song as sung by
the great Sandy Patty before on this blog, but,
I think it is worth posting again!
I think this is one of the most beautiful renditions
of this beloved hymn I have ever heard!


How Great Thou Art
Sandy Patty



"How Great Thou Art"
(1949)
Stuart K. Hine
(1899-1989)
Original poem, "O Store Gud"
Carl G. Boberg
(1859-1940)
Source material for "The Story Behind The Song"
taken from The Cyber Hymnal.com



No comments:

Post a Comment