Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Song Of The Horse Chestnut Fairy




My conkers, they are shiny things,

And things of mighty joy,

Any they are like the wealth of kings

To every little boy;

I see the upturned face of each

Who stands around the tree:

He sees his treasure out of reach,

But does not notice me.




For love of conkers bright and brown,

He pelts the tree all day

With sticks and stones he knocks them down,

And thinks it jolly play.

But sometimes I, the elf, am hit

Until I'm black and blue;

O laddies, only wait a bit,

I'll shake them down to you!



"The Song Of The Horse Chestnut Fairy"
Illustration and poem by
Cecily Mary Barker
(1895-1973)
English artist and poetess
Patroness of the Fairy folk, and
especially those terrorized by sling-shots
 in Croydon, Surrey, England



No comments:

Post a Comment