Thursday, June 15, 2017

My Madonna




 Built in the 11th century, Saint- Hilaire- le-Grand is a
church located in Poitiers, France.  It is named for
Saint Hilaire, Bishop of Poitiers.



I hailed me a woman from the street,
Shameless, but oh, so fair!
I bade her sit in the model's seat
And painted her sitting there.

I hid all traces of her heart unclean;
I painted a babe at her breast;
I painted her as she might have been
If the Worst had been the Best.


She laughed at my picture and went away
Then came with a knowing nod,
A connoisseur, and I heard him say;
"'Tis Mary, the Mother of God."

So I painted a halo round her hair,
And sold her and took my fee,
And she hangs in the church of Saint Hilaire
Where you and all may see.

"My Madonna"
Robert W. Service






 While I am not sure there really is a painting of 
' a woman from the street' transformed into the
Madonna and Child hanging inside this ancient church,
there is a beautiful statue of Mary and Baby Jesus
inside l'Eglise Saint-Hilaire le Grand a Poitiers.















No comments:

Post a Comment