Thursday, June 22, 2017

Rockin' In The Cradle Of Liberty: Sounds of Summer & WFIL




"Boss Radio"
WFIL AM



During my growing up years in the late 1960's
and the 1970's summer was not summer without 
listening to the Top 40 pop music played over the air waves
from Philadelphia and WFIL-AM radio.

"The Boss" station, also known as the "Famous 56"
 broadcasting from the City of Brotherly Love,
  could be heard all across South Jersey and down the shore,
 south to the city of Wilmington, Delaware and
 as faraway to the north as Staten Island, New York.

Although AM-radio was gradually replaced by
higher frequency FM-radio, and WFIL today has a
religious talk show format, the memories of listening
to "The Boss" on the car radio while riding with
my parents going down the shore,  playing on the beach
or at picnics, or on my portable transistor radio in
the backyard while swinging higher and higher on
the swing set with my bare feet pushing 
 against the thick humid air of a sultry June night
are never far from my mind these days now
that summer is here once again.

Some of my favorite song memories
from "The Boss"



Daydream Believer
The Monkees








Nights In White Satin
The Moody Blues







Sugar Sugar
The Archies







Up Around The Bend
Creedence Clearwater Revival







Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In
The Fifth Dimension






Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes
Edison Lighthouse






Close to You
The Carpenters






ABC
The Jackson 5









My Love
Paul McCartney





Brandy
Looking Glass







Ballroom Blitz
Sweet









Beach Baby
First Class








I Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Jim Croce






Delta Dawn
Helen Reddy






Betcha By Golly Wow
The Stylistics 





Black Water
The Doobie Brothers





Moonlight Feels Right
Starbuck








Philadelphia Freedom
Elton John







Baby I Love Your Way
Peter Frampton 





Dancing Queen
Abba




No comments:

Post a Comment