Friday, June 2, 2017

The Lorelei



The Lorelei Statue on the Rhine River
St. Goar, Germany



The Lorelei
A German Folk Song



I know not what it meaneth
That I so sad should be,
A legend quaint and plaintive
Is ever haunting me.


The air is cool, the day waneth,
And calmly flows the Rhine;
The tops of the mountain gleameth,
For still the sun doth shine.


A fair and lovely maiden,
Doth sit up on the height;
A-combing her golden tresses,
Her jewels dazzle the sight.


Her golden comb too, glistens
And as she combs her hair,
She sings a song so wondrous,
Its rich tones fill the air.


A boat-man whose skiff is so tiny
the water deep doth lave,
Entranced by song and singer,
Heeds not the rock nor the wave.


I fear me the craft and boat-man
Engulfed by billows high,
Because of the Lorelei's singing
Beneath the waves may lie.
Heinrich Heine







The Lorelei
A painting by German artist
Wilhelm Kray
(1828-1889)

No comments:

Post a Comment